Saturday, October 21, 2006

Travelling

God do I hate travelling. I've said it before, but I believe that the person who said "Half the fun is getting there" never went anywhere.

We spent the last two days going out to see my daughter at her school / treatment center. Wednesday night, we get to the airport, and all the flights through Atlanta are delayed. We won't make our connection and get there tonight, unless we get on the flight before ours, which is also delayed. But we can't check out bags - so with the latest security I'm dumping all my shampoos that I save from various hotels, toothpaste, all that stuff. Because, of course, I don't have a baggie to put them in.

Then in security I buzz the metal detector because of my belt. I take it off and walk through again clean, but it just makes me think how funny it would have been for my pants to fall down while I was walking through without a belt. But we no longer have our 1st ammendment rights in airports, so we can't make any jokes. TSA does not have a sense of humor.

Then once we get to Atlanta, our flight to Vegas is also delayed. This, of course, was worse, because it was packed, and I'm stuck in the middle seat for 4 hours.

No problem getting the car, but it is a two hour drive to Hurricane Utah where we are staying. Or would be if we could get out of town - but I-15 is down to 1 lane at night for construction - so it takes us over 45 minutes to get out of town. We finally get into our hotel room at about 4:15 in the frigging morning. Of course we have to be at the school at 10:15.

It was kind of funny though - as I'm waiting for a clerk at the hotel to check in, another guy walks in - and he had also just driven in from Vegas after flying in from Houston - to see his Grandaughter, who is in a similar program to what my daughter is.

Not only that, but on Friday we run into a couple from our seminars - he was even in my focus family - who are also there visiting their son for much the same reason we are there seeing Katie.

We did go see "Man of the Year" at the theatre there, as we were done at 3:30 on Thursday. Not a bad movie - I just didn't like the conspiracy stuff much, though Diane did.

The drive back to Vegas wasn't too bad, and we went and blew our wad over at the Luxor for a couple of hours. I managed to sit on a nickle slot (Ms. Little Green Men) for well over an hour on $20.00, so while I didn't walk away with anything, it was still good (I view the money for gambling as entertainment expenses - I don't go in expecting to win, just to be entertained for a while).

The we had our red-eye flight back - again stuck on a full flight in a middle seat for 4 f*****g hours. Then a three hour layover in Atlanta. The last flight actually wasn't bad, as it wasn't full so I moved up a row to have a pair of seats to myself (and allow Diane the same behind me). Still, I didn't really sleep on either flight, so my ass is dragging today. Diane, of course, is upstairs snoozing comfortably - me I'm doing band booster work and writing in my blogs!

Also, I blew my diet utterly and completely on the trip. We have to get back to it now. *sigh* I won't like weigh in on Wednesday, but then we'll hit it hard again. I just hope the workout room at work is fixed for good now.

No comments: