Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Going grey

I can't deny my age, it is a simple fact. I'm 42. Big deal.

I can't deny that my hairline is receding - and that I've been losing that battle since my head decided to open the war on two fronts - both my forehead and the top of my head. I can't see the bigger bald spot, but I can't really deny it is there.

What hair I have left is going grey. That again is a fact. Of course, it couldn't do the distinguished look - the grey at the temples type of thing. Or even the more salt and pepper type. No, it is a gradual all over.

At least on the hair on top of my head.

My beard - of course that has the most of all in it. Over half is neary white. Probably because it has always been darker, so it is much more noticable. If the rest of my head had as much grey as my beard, then I'd have to change my hair color the next time I get my drivers license.

However, in the shower today I noticed something. No, move your mind up a bit - down there is just fine. It is my chest. Of course it is going grey as well. Or at least one small section. The part right at the top center of my chest. You know, the only part that can be seen when my collar is open. Why is it, that only the visible hair is turning grey. The rest is the same brown it has always been (well I don't know about my back - which is where the head on my hair is retreating to as it loses the battle above).

Now I like my chest hair - just why does the only part that shows have to be the only part that is grey? I'm not going to shave it - that is just a wee bit too effiminate for me, thank you very much, but I'll keep my testosterone right where it is.

Still - you'd think I could catch a break getting old, and not have to declare every single piece of it so openly to the world.

The one comforting thought to all of this is at least I'm not a teenager anymore. And then to show that the universe really isn't fair, and truly hates me, I get a big zit on my face.

No comments: