Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Choices

One of my many readers (I can actually claim this in a computer science / mathematics sense, as there are three general conditions that you need to be concerned with - 0, 1 or many - something either occurs 0 times, exactly 1 time, or more than once (many). I've had evidence that at least 2 people have read this thing (one person actually entering responses, and one email) (yes, I have been told that there are several (ok, 3 or 4) lurkers out there as well (you know who you are) but I can't tell)) has an interesting "Quote of the Day" blog. It is a class project (she is the teacher) to gather discussion on various quotes.

The one for Monday really set me off a bit - and I just figured I'd use my own soapbox to for the rant, rather than fill up the responses there.

<>

Accountability - the ability to account for one's actions.

This is what is missing in our society today. Accountability. At all levels. It is rare to hear anyone today who does not blame society, the government, the media or something else for those things that they don't like, rather than be accountable.

Hurricane Katrina comes to my mind. We all saw the news reports of the people in the Super Dome, complaining about the aftermath of the storm, and not getting enough food, water and money from the government.

First, those people who stayed in New Orleans chose to stay. Period. Look how many people left. And I refuse to accept the idea that they were poor and couldn't leave. Of course they could leave - they have two feet. No, they chose not to leave. Was it an easy choice to make - probably only because the choice to make may have been difficult. It may have meant going out of their way and doing something different - taking responsibility for their own lives and welfare, and that of their families. I don't think anyone held a gun to their heads and forced them to stay. It was easier, and they could blame someone else for not getting them out, but in the end they chose to stay.

We live in a huge welfare state. HUGE!! Now I'm actually a registered Democrat, and have been since I could vote. But I voted for Bush. I don't like Bush - I don't like him at all. But I liked Kerry even less. In fact it has been a long time since there was actually a candidate I could support - I end up picking the least of all the evils everytime I go to the polls. But I do vote - and I'm accountable for my vote. Yes, I helped elect a president I don't like - and I have the right in doing so to say that I don't like him. If I hadn't voted, then I would not have the right to any opinion on it.

I don' t like the welfare state. Nobody has ever given me anything. I wasn't born poor - I've been middle class all my life. I've worked for a living. I went to college. I didn't go to an expensive college - I went to the one that was across the street - because it was all we could afford. I got a job, and have been working to support myself and my family for the past twenty years, and I'll probably be working for thirty more - with the same purpose.

Things haven't always gone well. Yes, I went bankrupt almost fifteen years ago. I could blame it on my first wife, and it was as much on her as me - but I chose to do it - I made the choices that led to it, even if they weren't conscious ones. Of course, one of the best choices I have made since then was getting divorced - and now it appears I have very good (if not excellent) credit, with nearly all the issues I once had resolved and far enough in the past that they no longer matter.

Technically, I was homeless for a time. This was during my divorce. Twice I did not have a place to call my own - once when she first kicked me out - I stayed at a friends for a week until I got a paycheck that I could get a motel on, and again when I was in the process of getting an apartment - I couldn't afford both the deposit and the hotel at the same time. For several days everything owned was in a van at the airport when I went to stay with my girlfriend (now my wife) during the time I couldn't afford to pay for both places.

I was laid off from my first job, with a pregnant wife. I got help from my parents to pay bills, and had to move. Those were my choices.

During all the bad times in my life - the government never did anything for me. Being male, I don't matter. As a single father of four - they didn't do squat. My family have helped me out when I was really down and out. My parents have given me money when I desperately needed it, even helping out greatly with my divorce lawyer. But the government - nothing.

I've seen who they have helped out. My ex-wife for one. But I won't dwell on that.

Where I'm trying to go here is so many people want the government to take care of them, as if the politicians in Washington were their parents. They aren't willing to accept that they make the decisions every day that determine the outcome of their lives.

If you don' t like where you live - move or change it!
If you don't have a job - that is your choice. I do not believe that someone who truly wants to work will be unable to find a job. It may not be the job you want initially. It may not pay as well as you would like. It may require you to get up off your lazy a$$ and actually do something. It may require some effort. But I believe anyone who wants to work will be able to work.
If you don't like your situation - change it.

The government is not accountable for your decisions - YOU ARE!

Look at your life. Look at the results you are making every day. You are making the choices that put you exactly where you are.

Isn't it about time EVERYONE steps up and takes accountability for the choices they are making, and if they don't like the results they are getting, begin to make new choices for themselves?

< /RANT >

No comments: