Monday, August 20, 2007

GenCon

Had a good time at GenCon.

The highlight was winning the Warhammer tournament - my first full win. It was with my revamped Orc & Goblin army, and I think it was based on the strength of my painting / composition / theme / sportsmanship score, as I lost big time to the guy who got 'Best General' (he managed to get 51 out of 54 battle points, while I think I was more like 37 battle points (with a 2-1 record, including a big time loss to him).

I kind of enjoyed running events, though it sucked big time in the slots where no one showed up. I don't think I want to do 8:00 am slots again - they are just such a pain to get up and run (though they were the best attended - so what does that say?) And running 6 times in one day wasn't great either.

I think I'm dropping Confrontation however, even after all the time, effort and money I've invested in it. I just am not excited about the new direction the game and company are taking. It may play quicker and easier, and even be a better game. But the hobby is what I enjoy and want to spend my money on - because frankly I just don't get to play ANY games as much as I want - and they are now a game company, not a hobby company.

I don't know if I would part it the minis I have. I also don't know if I will finish painting them either. It seems a bit of a waste really.

What does concern me is the 'rumor' that GW is going pre-painted in the future as well. The source of this is a competitor however, and I just don't want to believe it.

I really enjoyed the response I got to my army this weekend. I'm excited about doing my new one, and the way people have responded when I talk about it. I kind of think it is a bit funny - I'd almost have preferred to win "Best Appearance / Painted" this past weekend - I really want to see the score breakdowns. I want to play, and have fun playing, but this is my creative outlet.

*sigh*

No comments: