Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Meme's the word

Ok, looks like I got tagged by beanie over at "All Frayed Edges and Shades of Red" to meme about "seven random things about me." The question is which is going to be harder, coming up with seven things, or keeping the randomness to just seven!

1) I still have my tonsils. Never got that many infections as a kid, never came out.

2) I still have my wisdom teeth. I always had good teeth as a kid - only had one cavity EVER before about 30. But for some reason my folks never took us to the dentist much. Did the whole orthodontist thing, but didn't do the regular dentist. I first found out they should come out when I was in my mid twenties - and simply didn't have the money. So I ignored it. Fifteen years later, I find that they are causing problems because they are so severely impacted (thing 90 degrees - they are pointing straight forward) and I find that it is no longer safe to take them out - in adults the roots are too close to the facial nerve, so that I'd have a better than 50% chance of facial paralysis (and not the botox kind that goes away either) if they tried to remove them. Instead eventually I'll have to lose the teeth next to them. For now it is just a constant struggle to keep them healthy until they eventually have to go.

3) I wrote poetry all through high school and most of college. By the end of college I had worked out any poetic muse I had. I've even had some published (if only in the college literary magazine). I've thought about posting some on-line - but so much of it is pretentious teenage crap it isn't worth it.

4) I have very small feet (f0r a man). Even my youngest (13) son now has bigger feet than I do. I wear a 7 or 7 1/2 - the smallest sizes they make in men's shoes.

5) I broke my face the summer after I graduated high school. Took a nose-dive from my bike into the street - had road rash all over the backs of my hands and arms as well as my face - 17 stitches and broke the nose. At least the doctor in the ER manages to snap it back into place when she was checking it, so I didn't get the pleasure of having them rebreak it to set it.

6) I met my wife through the internet. Way back in the day on AOL, I was in a chat room about Colorado (because I missed home), turns out she owned a small piece of land about 20 miles from where I grew up. And now we've been married for almost 5 years.

7) I graduated valedictorian of my high school. Graduating class of about 120 or so. Most of the class resented it, because I only took the top spot the very last semester - and a lot was due to the fact that the other guy had taken Algebra in 8th grade before transfering (it was not offered in 8th grade in our school). It was a weighted class, so I had one more weighted class than he did. During graduation, the gym was packed to overflowing, and when I saw the crowd I was so nervous that even with a microphone no one could hear my speech.

I guess I need to read more blogs though - as all the ones I read have been tagged already!

1 comment:

Beanie said...

Ha! You get the award for being first to respond. If I had a Snicker's, it would be yours now.

So I'm wishing you continued good luck on the tonsils and wisdom teeth. Because...dang...those are not things you want removed as an adult!

These are great! Thanks for playing!