Friday, January 18, 2008

Even more of an idiot than usual

but in a good way! :-)

I usually try to avoid talking about work outside of work (and even at work, when I can help it) because it's not much fun watching people's eyes glaze over, and the drool start dripping from their lips as they enter a catatonic state from shere boredom. It is just messy to have to wipe up, really. But once in a while I have to remind myself why I don't.

I try very hard to be a fairly nice guy, and especially at work I generally don't insult people, and especially individually. Being a computer programmer, I have seen lots of really stupid things in programs, and a lot of them (though not all, at least) have been ones I've done. Like today. It was rather funny though, when I looked at this and saw what I'd done (or rather, in this case, what I didn't do) I simply asked what idiot wrote that? I have three people pop their heads up, including my boss (who actually has to stand on his desk to see over the wall between us (it is a 7' back partition between our cubes). And I found it even more humorous, because he was surprised that I'd not done it, as was everyone else. Even I was surprised, thinking I had. But I didn't, and putting it in now would be a whole lot more work (for relatively little payoff) so it won't ever get done.

(And for those whose eyes are still focussed, but are kind of wondering, so what was it really, I didn't parameterize the timeouts for the response queues from synchrous transports, hardcoding them instead. (What was worse is that I pretty much parameterize everything - which is why this is so surprising) Damn - now you have to wipe the drool off your chin and will have a big red spot on your forhead from where it slammed down on the desk - but the imprint of the keyboard on your cheek is kind of cute, really!)

So I go to work out at lunch, feeling like a dumb shit, but in a good way (you know, laughing at myself. I long ago learned that you have to be able to laugh at yourself, because everyone else is already laughing at you, and this way you can act like you are laughing with them!). I get to the Body Shop, and all the ellipticals are full. Fine - I'll do the stairmaster. I know I can't watch my iPod on it (no place to put it, and I move way too much to even read while on it). But I just said last month, and it is on the stupid bulletin board, that I'm in the best shape of my life.

Yeah right. Kicked my ass. I think I only managed about 35 minutes on it, and felt like I was going to fall down the stairs when I went down to take a shower. The layout of the body shop kind so adds insult to injury - all the weights, weight machines and cardio machines are upstairs (the locker rooms, offices and aerobics room are downstairs). So you bust you butt, your legs are nothing but limp wet noodles, but you still have to walk downstairs to get your clothes and a shower - thanks a lot!

So maybe this is something I need to re-motivate me. I'm still not down to my weight goal after Christmas (I was 174.4 at home this morning) - but if I get it in my head to be able to do an hour on the stairmaster - that would not be a bad thing. And just raise my level of idiocy yet one more notch.

No comments: