Friday, December 15, 2006

The one constant is change

Well wait no more you worried weight watchers wannabe's. As of this week the new weight watchers program has rolled out.

So of course my first reaction is "wonderful - so now I get to eat even less food." Of course, as is ususally the case, I was wrong yet again. The new program, so far, isn't so bad, and in fact I get, what I feel at least, is a lot more food than before (the advantage of being a male - one of many that I'll go into someday when I feel like the couch is ever so much more comfortable than the bed with my wife, but I digress). I actually went from 26 pts a day to 33! That is more than I started with 16 weeks ago! And with my usual exercise routine, that is up to 40 points (or a full 2000 calories) a day! I don't know what to do with that much!

Part of it makes sense however, as it seems that whenever I blow my diet on the weekend, I always end up losing more than when I really stick to it. Part of me is thinking that it is due to being right on the edge of eating enough and not - so when I go a bit over I actually end up on the side of eating enough to keep my metabolism up while losing weight, vs. not eating enough and having it slow down for 'starvation' mode.

So when I get home I go on-line to see if that is set up, since my PDA has not changed the amount this week yet, and the new program rolled out Sunday. Turns out there is a little 'assessment' (and you all know how much I like those :-) ) which you have to take - the same as in the book, though most of it is already filled out (i.e. weight, height, age, sex). The only real thing I have to add is my daily activity (which, unfortunately for the amount I get to eat, consists of sitting on my butt for 8-9 hours a day at my desk).

So then I synch up, go into the PDA program and it resets. Again and again. I do a hard reset, delete and reload it, all to no avail. But I did find the backup directory and remove a whole bunch of the restaurant databases (for points values - check out Dotti's Weight Loss Zone for a great listing of food and restaurant points) which I have never heard of - because I had so many files loaded on my PDA that whenever I went to the file manager, it puked because there were too many.

So I sent a message to support, and they are aware of the issue and working on it. But then I went and flipped back from the new on-line tracker to the old one, and everything seems to work (well, I can't access yesterday, but I can track today). So it looks to me like it is a problem with the new on-line tracker, which syncs up the data. So it works for now at least - and with any luck (like I have that :-) ) it will be fixed soon.

We also got the kitchen ceiling redone, so that the cracked plaster won't just fall on our heads. They also patched Jon's room. Diane is painting the ceilings this afternoon - she actually enjoys painting - so she can have it. I've done enough for many lifetimes, thank you.

I hope to make some time this weekend to get back to the life story - the next chapter is 'written', but kind of boring, so I'm working at adding in some humor. If it isn't interesting then it is a bit of a waste to put it up after all. So no 'factual' (like any of this is based on fact - haven't you realized that I'm just a figment of your own warped imagination!) changes, just adding some jokes (at least I think they are a little humorous).

Oh yeah, down another pound. I have to remember to keep pushing water, I think that makes a big difference for me. And now that I have more points, I had better stick to them. I doubt I can still blow it like I was, but then there are so many more points. Wish I had them for Thanksgiving - but Christmas is coming!

No comments: