Wednesday, October 10, 2007

old

With age comes wisdom. Except sometimes age comes alone.

43. Middle aged. To my kids just a little younger than dirt.

I felt old when I had stories that could start "20 years ago" - but that was itself years ago.

The one bit of irony (and yes, I know I am misusing the term, but I don't know any other way to put it) is that I am probably in the best physical shape I've ever been, in my entire life. When I was a kid I was skinny. I've always sucked at sports, and never enjoyed them. I did play basketball one year in Junior High (what, 30 years ago) and I sucked big time - never made a basket in a game the entire year. I tried track once, thinking I might be ok at sprinting - but couldn't run the mile to warm up that was required (and why would I need to be able to run a mile if I'm competing in a 100 yd dash?). Plus they expected (this in 8th grade) everyone to already know what they were doing - and have all the expensive cleats etc. needed. So that lasted a week.

Most week days I do an hour on the elliptical, sometimes a little more. (My goal every day is to do 1000 calories on the machine - and call it 10 pts on my diet.) I didn't yesterday, but it was a pretty crappy day at work and since I went out for lunch (raw fish - yummy!) I couldn't get away to work out (and thus blew the diet). I could probably run a mile now - if you could get me to run that is. I don't see any reason to run - unless somebody were chasing me.

Of course weigh in is tonight - we'll see what happens there. I talk about blowing my diet - but I doubt that I really did. It is a bit of a challenge to go from the losing weight mentality to maintaining.

The point is I hate birthdays, and I'm at least glad this one is over.

No comments: