Tuesday, June 05, 2007

I'm just a giver

Or an attempted giver. I got a call yesterday - apparently I'm a match for a kid in the local children's hospital with leukemia, so they asked for a white cell donation. I had to go get some pills last night to boost my white cell count, but no big deal.

I get there at 8:00 am, and of course they have problems, so much so that after getting stuck 4 times they send me home, unable to get a donation.

The first stick was for the return in my right arm - and they couldn't get it flowing at all and then hit a nerve (burning pain shooting up my arm - and this was the highlight). When they pulled it out there was a bit of 'flesh' stuck in the end of the needle - joy! So they tried again by the wrist - this just hurt going in, but then worked without being uncomfortable.

Then the left arm for the delivery, which looked easy. But the first poke didn't do it, and I started to bruise after she dug around in my arm a bit (that is always such fun). Unfortunately they have to go there, they can't use the wrist like the return. So another nurse tried again, and once more it started to bruise immediately. So they stopped. After an hour and a half, 6 vials of blood to test from the return tube - and no donation.

I can deal with the pain of getting stuck multiple times, and missing a couple hours of work - I just hate to do that and end up where they don't get a donation - or worse when I was there for nearly three hours and they had to stop because it was taking too long - and couldn't use what they had gotten.

And of course I had to give up my workout for this as well - hate to be pumping away at the elliptical and have my arm start spurting - that would be a bit rude!

Then Diane calls and gives me a box of HUGE chocolate covered strawberries and apples from Edible Arrangements just to throw off my diet. It was a really sweet anniversary present (four years tomorrow) - but of course we had agreed not to get anything for each other. I had an apple and strawberry, but gave the rest away, so as to attempt to stay somewhere in the vicinity of my diet.

Which brings up another point (which, if I have so many things to spew out, why aren't I updating more often?) as well. This week, point wise, has been pretty crappy. I haven't been good at all. First was Friday night playing D&D with the boys and their friends (no, I won't bore you telling you about my character (a 4th level Vaneran Favored Soul (2) / Sorcerer (2), complete with monkey familiar, who, once I get enough ranks in Knowledge(Religion) will become a mystic Theurge - spitting a huge amount of spells a day), but we had pizza for dinner - and a 'reasonable' serving of pizza just doesn't even touch it for me. So used way too many points.

Then Saturday night we went to a surprise birthday party for a friend / co-worker of Diane at a local bowling alley. We don't bowl (Diane can't with her torn Meniscus in her knee, and I wasn't going to leave her sitting by herself) and we ended up with the pretzels and chips sitting in front of us, just begging - nay DEMANDING to be eaten.

Of course Sunday we were already planning ribs - so I made some sweet, juicy, wonderful barbecue ribs. But all my weekly points were far gone. I ate them (well too many for my points) anyway, so I'm actually 7.5 points OVER this week - a bad thing.

But this morning when I weigh myself (a bad thing, I know), I'm down, and down good. Like 3 lbs or more. WTF!?! We'll see what happens tomorrow night, following my usual routine.

Ok, I'll shut up for now!

No comments: