Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Influences

Ok, try the mobile thing again - see if it gets there this time without me having to resend it.

Of course that has nothing to do with the title. So quit digressing and get on topic. (As if I actually have one).

This afternoon, I noticed my new office-mate was reading a book with, what I thought, was a very interesting title. "The Tree of Knowledge" - apparently about the origins of thought.

Which instantly reminded me of Hofstadter, both "Godel, Escher, Bach" and (though I could not remember the title) his more recent book "I am a Strange Loop".

Then tonight when I go to look for them, I can't find them. My last recollection of GEB was at Reynolds, and I'm afraid I lent them to someone there - and as such expect that they are gone. Until I place an Amazon order, of course.

What is it that makes some things in our lives so important? I've only read GEB five or six times through - and read the dialogs many, many more.

Lord of the Rings was great, but it did not move me like The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Again read multiple times.

Some things seem to shape our lives, and we can't imagine ourselves without their constant influence.

Hmmmm - I wonder if this is how religion affects those who truly believe?
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: