Saturday, November 07, 2009

Proud 'fer ya

I don't talk about family much in my blog, mainly because I know that several of them read it and I'm not sure about writing things on more 'sensitive' family issues and people.

Usually, but not always.

I dob't consider myself southern, nor a redneck. My dad's famuily is from Missour, and that is just about the dfefinition of mid-west. They do come from down in the very southern part (the boot heel as it is called). My dad has his PhD in Government and history, and my mom has a Masters (I think in education). I grew up the son of two teachers in Colorado - so I'm not southern at all - i consider myself western, even if I have lived in Ohio for the past 20+ years.

However, once in a while, the redneck comes through, usually with a wink and a nod. Thus it was that I grew up hearing again and again how my relatives would say they were proud "fer ya" instead of "of you".

This afternoon I am down in Cincinnatti watching my boys marching band perform. (If you wanted to read something that gets straight to the poiint, then boy are you in the wrong place!). Erik is a senior, and he has 5 features in the show, including solos ro open and close the first number, a brass choir, a brass quartet (with his younger brother - the band director likes to call it "The Carter Brother's
Gospel Quartet"), and a trio to close the show.

Well the band has finally made MSBA finals (the first time since 2003) tonight. This is a pretty big deal for them. And as a father, I really want to say that I'm extremely proud 'fer my boys and the band.

I'm not sure if I ever say it enough, but I am very proud 'fer my boys, and I love them very much.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: