Friday, March 27, 2009

Bad taste in my mind

I believe the term is "Deux ex Machina" - the literal translation being "god in the machine". It comes from greek theatre, where at the end of the play a god would drop down out of the sky and save the day. In modern usage, it is where in a movie (or tv show, novel, whatever) the solution sudenly appears out of left field, with no logic or reason - often leaving you with a feeling of ?!?WTF?!?

Diane and I went to see "Knowing" last night. OMG what a horrible movie.

The best anology I can make is imagine eating a big chocolate candy bar - like a Snickers. Good, chewy, nuts. Then as you pop the last bite into your mouth, you suddenly realize that you eating a chocolate covered turd - with nuts. No matter how much you enjoyed the first 3/4 of it, you can't get the taste of the turd out of your mouth.

It could have been a good movie - if they took out the last 15 minutes or so (the huge Deux ex Machina turd) and actually wrote a real ending.

Not the absolute worst movie I have seen, but it really works hard for the honor.

I have to wonder if Nicholas Cage was broke or what to have made him make this steaming piece of cinematic crap.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: