Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Monkeys and weasels and snakes, oh my!

Around and round the Mulberry bush
The monkey chases the weasel
The monkey thought 'twas all in fun
Then POP goes the weasel!

Today it isn't the Monkeys, but the snakes. But then it turns out that weasels are much funnier than snakes, though less nasty, but still gives an image of sneaky, backstabbing, dishonesty and a lack of integrity - just like I have to deal with at work all the time.

I work in a fricking zoo - monkeys and weasels and snakes - oh my.

The search has started, but very slow. A bit of the clue-by-four first to my own head, because I can't afford to be out of work. So that means sit down, shup up and color - and like it! Don't just drink the kool-aid - take this IV of it and live the frickin' dream!!!

What I'm really finding difficult anymore is getting the energy after a day at the zoo to come home and do anything about it - it is so draining that I just want to collapse - oh but first there is dinner and school supplies and church youth group and band practice and board meetings and football concession and band tax returns . . .

At least it is helping that I'm getting a slight glimmer of respect from some of the weasels, though only by working twice as hard to not only share some of the things that I have learned after doing this for almost ten years, but to do it in a way that isn't showing them to be complete and utter idiots.

Man, I am just ranting tonight, not really going anywhere.

Had one interesting example today. Weasels are having a problem sending data with the new system, so they ask me what might be wrong. I spend the next hour writing up, in detail, just the most obvious issues with what they are doing, without accusing them at all or even asking which orifice their heads have been crammed into lately even once. I then talk to the chief weasel, and he has me sit with him as he corrects the code. However, before we get started, I ask if he has the interface document that actually goes into detail on what should be there. He does, and even laughs about the fact that he HAS read it, but doesn't know XML or DTD's, so just glossed over it, not being a detail type of guy.

Can a weasel be a monkey too? I wouldn't have a problem if he were actually doing the role of a manager, but he is coding as much as anyone, and doesn't really seem to be managing much at all. But we walked through the corrections (me knowing what was needed, him knowing where it was in the new code and the exact .net syntax).

So a better day - though that doesn't take much at all at this point to say that.

round and round the mulberry bush . . . .

1 comment:

Beanie said...

So he's a....Weaskey? And that's OK? Except that he's supposed to be a snake, right?

Good luck with finding a new path.