Monday, October 15, 2007

They like me. They really like me.

Wow. I went to the Marauder's Mayhem this weekend, and it was probably the best Warhammer tournament I've ever been at. The tables and terrain weren't as nice as what the Olde World Warriors do every year for Origins, but the players were top notch, and I probably enjoyed myself more than any other tournament. So many times I get competitive, and when I do I don't enjoy myself. I finished with a 2-3-0 record, which is fine. The final game was really good, and was much closer than the final score looked.

Then the amazing part. I won the Generals Choice award. I know I'm a decent painter. I paint to look good on the table, and for the army to look good as a whole. I like doing different themes, and having things tied together. But to be voted on as the best among all the other armies, really humbles me. It was the best I could have hoped for, really. I've always said that my goal was to have an army that people wanted to see, liked, and maybe made them smile a bit. I guess I did it. It does still blow me away, because techically some of the paint jobs etc were, I felt, so far superior to mine. The nurgle demons that were all giant maggots - truly awesome looking (and were my first choice for best army).

Then to top it off, I got 2nd for Sportsmanship - and my sportsmanship score was tied with the winner! So I managed to have both a good looking army, and be a fun opponent as well. Wow! I remember years ago going to the GT and getting very low sportsmanship scores. So I was really happy there as well.

I still feel like I'm just an ok modeller/painter, but I guess I'm not giving myself quite enough credit. Winning best appearance at Origins, Overall at GenCon based on my appearance, and now General's Choice - I guess I'm slightly better than ok.

Now to get started on the Grateful Undead!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gratz!!