Monday, May 21, 2007

Where did he go?

I feel a little like that old Looney Toon - the one where the sheep dog is looking for Bugs (I think) and keeps looking around saying "Where did he go? Where did he go?"

Me, I haven't gone anywhere - I'm just lazy. Or have very little to say - but then that usually hasn't stopped me before, so I'm not sure why it is now. I have noticed that I seem to experience these little slumps in my life, where I'm just not that talkative. Then I get bursts where I actually try and write something. Like that life story stuff - yes I do need to get back to that and keep it going.

So since I have nothing worth saying, I'll instead put in a humorous email I just received from my wife for all to enjoy. It does make me think that I need to find a collection of Winston Churchill's quotes. Enjoy.

WHEN INSULTS HAD CLASS

"He has
all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
-- Winston Churchill

"A modest little
person, with much to be modest about."
--
Winston Churchill


"I have never killed a man, but I have read
many obituaries with great pleasure."
--
Clarence Darrow


"He has never been known to use a word that
might send a reader to the dictionary."
--
William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)


"Poor Faulkner. Does
he really think big emotions come from big words?"
-- Ernest Hemingway (about William
Faulkner)


"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll
waste no time reading it."
-- Moses
Hadas


"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea
of any man I know."
-- Abraham
Lincoln


"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this
wasn't it."
-- Groucho
Marx


"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter
saying I approved of it."
-- Mark
Twain


"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his
friends."
-- Oscar
Wilde


"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new
play; bring a friend.... if you have one."
-- George Bernard Shaw to Winston
Churchill


"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend
second... if there is one."
-- Winston
Churchill, in response


"I feel so miserable without you; it's
almost like having you here."
-- Stephen
Bishop


"He is a self-made man and worships his
creator."
-- John
Bright


"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's
nothing trivial."
-- Irvin S.
Cobb


"He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness
in others."
-- Samuel
Johnson


"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run
up."
-- Paul Keating

"He
had delusions of adequacy."
-- Walter
Kerr


"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't
cure."
-- Jack E.
Leonard


"He has the attention span of a lightning
bolt."
-- Robert
Redford


"They never open their mouths without subtracting from
the sum of human knowledge."
-- Thomas
Brackett Reed


"He inherited some good instincts from his
Quaker forebears, but by diligent hard work, he overcame them."
- James Reston (about Richard
Nixon)


"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always
yielded easily."
-- Charles, Count
Talleyrand


"He loves nature in spite of what it did to
him."
-- Bette
Midler


"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without
any address on it?"
-- Mark
Twain


"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the
stork."
-- Mae
West


"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever
they go."
-- Oscar
Wilde


"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses
lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination."
-- Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

"He has Van
Gogh's ear for music."
-- Billy
Wilder

No comments: