Monday, November 20, 2006

Driving

I don't like driving. I know in today's society, that is not a very masculine thing to say. Men are supposed to dig cars and speed and be masters of the road. In my opinion, a car is to get from place to place - period. It is not an extension of my personality nor a status symbol, nor compensation for my 'physical' shortcomings. Yes, someday I want a convertible, because the one week I drove one ten years ago it made it a bit more enjoyable. Mustangs are cool, but I won't pay a lot for one.

In the US today, you generally have to drive to get around. Sure, there is public transportation in some larger cities, if you are on the routes. You can fly, but it is often prohibitively expensive, at least for my budget most of the time. And when you drive you can bring as much stuff as your car will fit, for no additional cost, save maybe a slight bit of decreased gas mileage when you weigh the station wagon down so far that it is almost scraping the pavement.

I'm not a great driver. I get by, but I make mistakes. I once heard that 70% of american drivers believe they are in the top 10% of drivers. I don't. I know better. But I have to do it.

We went to Chicago this weekend. It is about 5 hours drive time. Of course on the way up we went to see Jon at college - so that added about an hour and a half. But that wasnt' the big deal. We went up for another seminar (Keys to Success: Living a Purposeful Life). This is our 6th seminar in Chicago, not including the one I staffed. So we are kind of used to going up there. These end at 4 on Sunday. We have stayed over a couple of times, but that means an additional day of vacation is needed for it, so we generally head straight home. So we usually get out of there by 5. Chicago time. Which is 6 our time. The time change is kind of nice going there - sucks coming home. Plus an hour usually to eat something. And yesterday we stopped to get some Giordano's pizza for one of Diane's clients (and one for us). And at least one gas stop, plus a couple of pit stops.

Diane doesn't like to drive at night, as she doesn't see as well. Me, if I have to drive, night driving isn't so bad. Much better than having the sun in your eyes - I really hate that. So, of course I drive the whole way home. She sleeps for part of it. I work at staying awake and alert. Caffeine. Sugar. Eating junk food, or at least eating. Chewing gum. And you can't let up. It's not like you can just quit 50 miles from home and relax - you need to be up and alert all the way.
So leaving the hotel about 5, stop for the pizza, stop to get dinner (side note - we found this nice Mexican place in Lafayette Indiana by accident last time that has really good Shrimp Chimichangas. I don't remember the name - but it is on 43 about 10 miles off the interstate, just on the left as you go into town. We will definitely plan on being back after the keys in May), stop to get gas, stop to pee, stop to stretch legs and pee again anyway. Drinking diet pepsi, eating the rest of the peanuts, a snickers bar after dinner. A couple more diet pepsis, plus sparkling water (at least that didn't have caffeine).

So we get home without a problem. A bit of stuff to unload, because we brought the food for lunches - so we had a couple of coolers and bags, plus the banner for our Keys Family, and the luggage (just one bag, and my computer - which I couldn't get the wireless or wired internet to work at the hotel), and our books. The dog ignores me as usual, is so happy to see Diane he almost pees himself. Briefly look at the mail. Then upstairs. Brush teeth, get undressed, go to the bathroom. Check the alarm and get in bed.

And lie there. Waiting. Feeling the car still. Feeling the road. Alert. Awake. 12:30 at night, Enya playing on the CD player. Having pushed myself t be alert and go, now I can't stop. Diane is snoring next to me - not too load at least. And she slept for a couple of hours in the car as well. Because she didn't have to stay awake and alert, she could relax. No tension there. And I'm staring at the clock.

It takes me an hour and a half to finally unwind, let go and fall asleep. 2:00 frickin am in the morning - I remember seeing the clock. Of course, I then wake up at 3 and 4:30 to pee - because I'd been drinking pop and water all evening to stay awake. And 6 am doesn't come any later than usual. Time to get up, get to work, where once more I'm supposed to be awake and alert - and even worse actually use my brain all day - which is now completlely trying to shut down, screaming "SLEEP!". So coffee all morning, to keep me wired through the day. And lots of water - got to get back on the diet (weighed myself after working out at lunch - right now I'm close to even, so have to be real good to not gain, especially because the Body Shop (the workout facility here at work - everything has a car theme) closes at 5 on Wednesday - so while I can workout on Wednesday, I can't do it right before weigh-in like I've been doing), so that means I'm still peeing all day long it seems. Then go home and get to do the laundry that I couldn't do while I was in Chicago, so I'll have underwear tomorrow (I'm too old to go Commando).

So I hate driving. It makes me tired and cranky. :-)

PS. The irony is, my new number name is "Driving my life". Somedays I just can't win.

No comments: